(July 1, 1899 - December 15, 1962) U.K. - U.S.A.
Born in Scarsborough, N. Yorkshire, Charles married actress Elsa Lanchester on February 10, 1929. Charles had his male lovers and Elsa had her men lovers too. Charles accepted Elsa lover and she accepted his. David Roberts was one of Charles lover, the relationship was first sexually then platonic, the friendship lasted for more than two decades. After nine years, in 1950 his love relationship with David begin to break up, and David left for New York. In the same year both Elsa and he became US citizens.
Charles met Steve Martin after David left for New York. Steve was unreliable so they drifted apart. Charles fell in love with Bruce Ashe. Bruce was a successful young photographer's model. Among the pallbearers, was David Roberts , who had been a devoted friend to Charles until he died in Hollywood. Laughton's homosexuality is discussed at length in Charles Laughton an Intimate Biography by Charles Higham (1976).
- The sign of the cross (1932)
- The mutiny on the Bounty (1935)
- The hunchback of the Notre Dame (1939)
- This land is mine (1943)
- The suspect (1944)
- The Paradine case (1947)
- Abbott & Costello meet Captain Kidd (1952)
- Witness for the prosecution (1958)
- Spartacus (1960)
- Advise and consent (1962)
- Charles Higham, Charles Laughton an Intimate Biography, (1976)
- Simon Callow, Charles Laughton : A difficult actor, 1987