(? - living) U.K.
Academic, social geographer
She graduated from the University of Durham in 1986 with a first class honours degree in Geography and went onto complete a PhD at the University of Reading (1986-89). Between 1989-92 she pursued a career as a journalist for Haymarket Publishing and BBC Wales.
In 1992 she was appointed to a Lectureship at the University of Manchester. In 1994 she moved across the Pennines to take up a post at the University of Sheffield. She was promoted to Senior Lecturer in 1998 and given a Personal Chair in 1999.
Gill Valentine is currently, co-editor of two journals: Gender, Place and Culture and Social and Cultural Geography; a member of five other editorial boards; and a commissioning editor for two Routledge book series. Gill Valentine is (co) author/editor of 10 books, and over 75 articles in major international journals and in key edited volumes.
Her work include:
- Rooms (1948)
- Mapping Desire: Geographies of Sexualities (1995)
- From Nowhere to Everywhere: Lesbian Geographies (1999)
- Children's Geographies: Living, Playing, Learning (2000)
- Social Geographies: Society and Space (2001)
- The digital generation? Children, ICT and the everyday nature of social exclusion (2002)
- Exploring children's identities and social networks in on-line and off-line (2002)
- Cyberkids: Children in the Information Age (2003)